God designed us, not to be hoarders, but conduits through which His generosity flows.
Throughout the Bible, God points us to living with hands open, ready to give whatever He has given us. It’s an adventurous, satisfying way to live.
Let’s take a look at few of these generosity verses:
- For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. – Matthew 6:21
- Each person should do as he has decided in his heart—not reluctantly or out of necessity, for God loves a cheerful giver. – 2 Corinthians 9:7
- He looked up and saw the rich dropping their offerings into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow dropping in two tiny coins. “I tell you the truth,” He said. “This poor widow has put in more than all of them. For all these people have put in gifts out of their surplus, but she out of her poverty has put in all she had to live on.” – Luke 21:1-4
- Based on the gift each one has received, use it to serve others, as good managers of the varied grace of God. – 1 Peter 4:10
- Honor the Lord with your possessions and with the first produce of your entire harvest. – Proverbs 3:9
- Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men, knowing that you will receive the reward of an inheritance from the Lord. You serve the Lord Christ. – 1 Timothy 6:17-19
- One person gives freely, yet gains more; another withholds what is right, only to become poor. A generous person will be enriched, and the one who gives a drink of water will receive water. – Proverbs 11:24-25
- Kindness to the poor is a loan to the Lord, and He will give a reward to the lender. – Proverbs 19:17
- Instruct those who are rich in the present age not to be arrogant or to set their hope on the uncertainty of wealth, but on God, who richly provides us with all things to enjoy. Instruct them to do what is good, to be rich in good works, to be generous, willing to share, storing up for themselves a good reserve for the age to come, so that they may take hold of life that is real. – 1 Timothy 6:17-19
- For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. – John 3:16
As Christians, we try to follow the example Jesus gave us. And so, because He gave, we give. Let’s live generously, friends.