Would you like to have a fun and relaxing weekend without having to spend a ton of money? Who wouldn’t, right?
My wife and I are always looking for fun, free activities that we can do. And as new parents, we want to take every opportunity to invest in our child/ren while making lifelong memories.
But how can you make memories on a tight budget? Well, finding things to do without breaking the bank may be easier than you thought.
Here are 11 ways to have fun for free this weekend:
- Explore your local parks or gardens. Enjoy some beautiful sights and sounds by taking a stroll through a local garden or park. Pack some water and snacks from home, and you have a fun afternoon date.
- Check out your community’s calendar. Free movie nights, festivals, farmers market, and street parties. Most small towns will have activities going on all summer for the whole family.
- Make a homemade recipe. Try making something with the ingredients in your pantry. One of my favorite, easy recipes to make from our pantry is this homemade bread.
- Visit the local public library. My wife loves books, so we visit the library any chance we get. And this is also a great way to help encourage a love of reading in your kids.
- Build a giant fort with your kids. Another way to have fun with your kids this weekend is to build a giant pillow fort. This had to be one of my favorite things to do as a kid.
- Go on a hike. Maybe you don’t have a park or garden near you. Instead, lace up your tennis shoes and go for a hike. Explore new places, and make new memories.
- Try Geocaching. Have you ever wanted to search for stuff like in National Treasure? Try geocaching! It is great fun for you and the kids, as you get specific GPS coordinates that lead you to little hidden treasures.
- Visit a free museum. One of the coolest aspects about a city is that there is typically a free museum nearby. Whether it is your town’s old history museum, or the museum of natural sciences with incredible exhibits, this is a great way to make lasting memories.
- Get to know your neighbors. It is not uncommon for people to live next to each other for years without getting to know one another. A great way to get to know your neighbors is to invite them outside to play games like corn hole.
- Have a ‘cupboard potluck.’ Invite your friends over for food and games, and have each of them bring something that they were able to make from their cupboard or refrigerator.
- Exchange taking family pictures with friends. Do you or someone you know have a nice camera? With technology these days, anyone can take professional grade pictures. Make a deal with your friends to take your family’s pictures, and then return the favor.
Try several of these activities this weekend. You will be satisfied knowing that your fun weekend was free! And let me know what activities you would add to this list.