Contentment is something for which we must pursue and fight. The world will not bring it to us; we must go after it.
Newer, better, more. Left to the world’s devices, we will find ourselves consistently discontent. And the chase for newer, better, and more will leave us exhausted. You have been there. So have I.
There will always be a bigger house. There will always be a nicer car. There will always be more exotic vacations. So abandon the chase. Find the contentment that only God offers. Run after that instead. Because the contentment that God offers is real and lasting.
Here are a few verses about contentment to get you started:
- I know both how to make do with little, and I know how to make do with a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content—whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through him who strengthens me. – Philippians 4:12-13
- Keep your life free from the love of money. Be satisfied with what you have, for he himself has said, “I will never leave you or abandon you.” – Hebrews 13:5
- But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out. If we have food and clothing, we will be content with these. – 1 Timothy 6:6-8
- “Watch out and be on guard against all greed, because one’s life is not in the abundance of his possessions.” – Luke 12:15
- A greedy person stirs up conflict, but whoever trusts in the Lord will prosper. – Proverbs 28:25
- “Therefore I tell you: Don’t worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Isn’t life more than food and the body more than clothing?” – Matthew 6:25
- Better a little with righteousness than great income with injustice. – Proverbs 16:8