Sometimes, giving to a church can feel like you are placing money in a black hole—clueless as to how it is being used.
As a former church staffer and current church volunteer, I can pretty much assure you—God is using your generosity in amazing, eternity-changing ways. Whatever you give, God is multiplying it like he multiplied the bread and fish on earth.
In fact, here is what very possibly happened the last time you gave to your church, how God used your generosity to make a difference in the lives of people that you will never know on this side of eternity:
- Someone heard about Jesus. Someone either inside or outside the church heard about Jesus, maybe even for the first time. Because your church exists, the word of Christ is getting out in your community and beyond. And because you gave, you were a part of that.
- A couple chose against divorce. Fifty-percent of couples get divorced. It is likely that several couples in your church are determining whether or not to join that statistic. But because they hear about God’s design for them and their marriage, because they are hearing the gospel, because a pastor or counselor is meeting with them, they are deciding to fight for their marriage instead of abandoning it. And because you gave, you were a part of that.
- A couple decided to be foster parents. A couple overwhelmed with their own adoption into God’s family has chosen to want the unwanted. They will care for and show the love of Jesus to children who have been bounced from home to home. And because you gave, you were a part of that.
- A mom and dad became better parents. Believe or not, parenting is not easy. The Bible is filled with teachings to guide parents as they raise their children to love God. A mom and dad soaked up these teachings and are becoming better parents because of it. And because you gave, you were a part of that.
- The hungry were fed. There are people in your church who serve those with needs in your community. Your church loves and serves “the least of these.” And because you gave, you were a part of that.
- The lonely found friends. Loneliness is rampant in our nation and your community. And since you last gave, someone who was desperate for relationships walked into your church and found them. For the first time in a long time, they feel like they are not alone. And because you gave, you were a part of that.
- A doubter found answers. Someone had questions about God. So they sought out your church. And they found the answers for which they were looking. And now, they are on the journey to putting their faith in Christ. And because you gave, you were a part of that.
- God started putting the broken’s pieces back together again. Men and women, who have faced significant pains in their lives, are being tended to in your church. They are finding comfort. Tears are being wiped from their eyes. God is working in their lives in amazing ways. And because you gave, you were a part of that.
See what you missed? When you give to your church, God uses your generosity to advance his Kingdom in your community and around the world. You may not always hear the stories, but you can be assured that he is at work, taking your gift and multiplying in ways that only he can.