Tomorrow is the day that we celebrate the 1776 adoption of our Declaration of Independence. It is a day to reflect on and enjoy the liberties we have been provided.
July Fourth is also a great holiday to enjoy on a tight budget. In fact, money is not always needed to have a fun Fourth. There are usually several free options available to you.
Here are some cheap suggestions that I have found work for my family:
- Play some ball. Get a group together and find a court or field. If you have kids, go out in the backyard. Throw a baseball or football around.
- Spend time with friends and family. If you have the day off, use it to spend some time with loved ones. Wherever you go today, bring someone with you.
- Enjoy a local park. If the weather is nice in your area, go outside. Go for a run. Explore a trail. Get away and enjoy God’s creation.
- Eat cheap. On the Fourth of July, eating cheap food is the norm. Purchase some hotdogs and a bag of barbecue flavored chips, and you have classic Independence Day cuisine. If you want to splurge, get a box of Bomb Pops.
- Go to a parade. Every town seems to have their own parade. Find one in your local area and make plans to attend. To get a good spot, be sure to arrive early.
- Watch some fireworks. Try to find a local fireworks show. There are usually plenty of them around. Get a few lawn chairs, lay out a blanket, and enjoy the show.
- Watch “A Capital Fourth” on PBS. If you can’t get out, “A Capital Fourth” is a good at-home option. The program runs live from the West Lawn of the U.S. Capital from 8:00pm to 9:30pm EST. If you are going to watch a July Fourth celebration on television, it might as well be the one in D.C.
Pick out a few budget-friendly options for tomorrow. I have my to-do list ready.
Have a great Fourth of July. Celebrate on the cheap this year.