For the Christian, gratitude should come easy. We recognize that we have nothing that God has not provided for us. We have nothing, and He gave us everything. Self-dependency is not possible in the Christian faith.
What’s fascinating about gratitude is that the more we thank God for the things he has given us, the more we realize how much there is to be thankful for. We start to see the gifts of God everywhere—because they are everywhere.
Therefore, it should not surprise us to find men and women crying out to God in thankfulness throughout Scripture. As you continue to develop a disposition of gratitude toward the Giver, consider these verses.
1. I will thank the Lord for his righteousness; I will sing about the name of the Lord Most High. – Psalm 7:17
2. I will thank the Lord with all my heart; I will declare all your wondrous works. – Psalm 9:1
3. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise. Give thanks to him and bless his name. For the Lord is good, and his faithful love endures forever; his faithfulness, through all generations. – Psalm 100:4-5
4. Hallelujah! Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his faithful love endures forever. – Psalm 106:1
5. Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:6-7
6. Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift! – 2 Corinthians 9:15
7. And let the peace of Christ, to which you were also called in one body, rule your hearts. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell richly among you, in all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another through psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. – Colossians 3:15-17
8. Devote yourselves to prayer; stay alert in it with thanksgiving. – Colossians 4:2
9. Rejoice always, pray constantly. – 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17
10. Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful. By it, we may serve God acceptably, with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire. –Hebrews 12:28-29
God is good, and we have so much to be thankful for.