Has the Christmas season been crazy for you?
I know many who feel that this year’s Christmas season has been abnormally hectic. The reality of a global pandemic has required us to reimagine what Christmas looks like this year. Church looks different. Travel looks different. Shopping looks different. Family gatherings look different.
There is a lot of change and uncertainty, and many are mentally exhausted. Christmas has become less about celebrating the birth of Jesus and more about survival.
If this is you, let me encourage you—it is not too late to consider God’s unsurpassed generosity. It is Christmas Eve, and you still have time to make Christmas about Christ.
Here are a few suggestions:
1. Slow down and read Luke 2. If you have family, gather them together. Open up the Bible and read the Christmas story out loud. Consider or discuss what stands out to you. What surprises you? What fills your heart with gratitude?
2. Attend or watch a Christmas Eve service. Many churches are providing both in-person and online options for Christmas Eve services. If you have family, watch it together. Celebrate the birth of Jesus with your local church.
3. Worship God in song. Sing some Christmas hymns. Again, if you have a family, gather them together. If you are going solo, that’s okay as well. No one will notice if you are off pitch. Pick out a few familiar Christmas hymns that celebrate Jesus’ birth. Worship in song.
4. Tell someone about Jesus. Live out “Go Tell It on the Mountain.” God loved the world so much that He sent Jesus. And He longs for humans to believe in Him and have eternal life. But they cannot believe unless someone tells them. This is where you come in. Tell someone about this incredible gift. What better way to celebrate Christmas?
5. Do a prayer walk. Walk around the neighborhood and pray for your neighbors. Pray for any specific needs that you are aware of. Pray that they will come to know Jesus this Christmas.
6. Give. There are many Kingdom-advancing organizations to which you can give. Give to help those who are less fortunate and have yet to hear this incredible news about Jesus. Worship with your financial resources by sacrificially giving this Christmas.
See, it is not too late. You can still redeem this hectic Christmas season and make Jesus the focal point. Pick one idea or six, and celebrate the birth of our King Jesus.